As we said, this podcast idea came after listening to this Ted talk by Mariano Sigman and Dan Ariely, who were talking about how groups can make better decisions. It got me thinking that we can only arrive at a group decision if we talk to one another, something we seem to be doing less and less of. We tend to spend less time having awkward conversations, less time talking to real people in real situations, and more time alone in front of computer screens.
However, Christmas and Hannukah are upon us, which inevitably lead to us spending lots of time with family and food, and while this can be a time of joy, it can also be a very frustrating time filled with badly managed conversations and arguments.
So we thought we would take a moment to discuss the importance of honest real conversations, even about the things you hate talking about, and how to have better ones.
So here are the ground rules we suggest to keep your relationships happy:
- Keep the past in the past. We know it's not easy, but if you focus on now your life will be much simpler.
- Be respectful of other people. They have a right to their opinion, as misguided as you may think it is, they have led a whole life leading them to their conclusions, just as you have, and it's okay.
- Your willingness to listen to different opinions allows you to grow as a human being.
- Notice the way you speak, your tone, your volume and the words you use.
- Remember the people around you love you, and they care even when they don't express themselves well.
Now if you somehow missed our survey (very short, less than 2 minutes to complete) please fill it in, let us know what you think of our podcast, and get the opportunity to win one of three brilliant prizes we'll select random people who filled in the survey to win: 1:1 parenting consultancy with Nava, 1:1 health or life coaching session with Maya, or the most amazing life planner ever (PDF)!
Also, heads up for our followers, next week we'll be announcing our super cool free January Joy challenge of 31 days of positive affirmations!
Each day we'll be offering a new positive affirmation for you to carry with you for the rest of the day and see what good comes of a new mindset for the new year! Sign up here so you can join in on all the fun, after you sign up you'll get an email invitation to join our closed Facebook group where all this will be taking place 🙂 Can't wait to see you there!
As promised, here are links to some Dan Ariely books, so you can become a fangirl of his too (or at least learn heaps of interesting things and also learn how to make better decisions)
Wishing you happy holidays
and love as always,
Want to know first about our next episode?
Want to get special bonuses and free content?